Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Trying not to make Andrew Lloyd Webber songs sound "broadway"

I loves me some Broadway. Though, I'm really not a huge Andrew Lloyd Webber fan. I'll take Sondheim over Lloyd Webber and Bernadette Peters over Sarah Brightman ANY day!

Syesha - Audra McDonald watch out! Syesha really turned in a sexy and powerful performance. Most of all, it was entertaining. [Allison Janey sighting!!] The entertainment factor is something a few of the contestants just don't have. Speaking of which...

Jesus CATStro - NO! NO! NO! NO!
Memories?! There are some things that you can never un-see once you've sen them: 1) The Towers Falling, 2) Two Girls One Cup, and 3) Jason Castro blindly stumbling through what he suspected might be the lyrics to Memories. His performance was so whiny and simpering that even Betty Buckley would have thrown a maxi pad at him had she been there! I also love that Paula said, "I'm going to try to say..." Thanks for the warning, Paula.

Whitey - Not ONLY did Whitey pick the weak-ass song Andrew Lloyd Webber (and Tim Rice) HAD to write for Madonna for the EVITA movie, so she'd have something she could actually sing with her half a voice, but Whitey then proceeded to butcher the easiest song ALW ever wrote! She chunked the beginning, and she struggled to hit the "high" notes. When Paula is grasping for something nice to say.... OUCH!

Rick Schroeder sighting!!

Monchuleta - Wow! I was shocked -- absolutely shocked -- that Broadway's king of cheese and American Idol's prince of cheese didn't add up to a giant wad of super cheese. Monchuleta actually manned up and delivered a Timberlaked version of a ladysong from Phantom. Manchuleta pulled off a David Cook.



Paul Stanley sighting??

Carly - Daaaamn! Not an easy song, and she really rocked it. Once again, her performance was damned entertaining. I couldn't take my eyes off the TV.

David Cook - This was his gayest performance by a MILE! He's definitely got a future at that Phantom theatre in Vegas where they "workshopped." Thank goodness he can really sing or that performance would have been a Monchuleta-level cheese-fest. It came damn close. I prefer rocker David Cook. Don't get me wrong, I like some meat on my men, but when David Cook doesn't jump around on stage, his sexy paunch becomes more evident.

It is time for Whitey or Jason to go!

No comments: