Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Jay Leno: Homophobic Bully? You decide.

I found this story on Towleroad and HAD to share. Jeff Whitty, Avenue Q writer, breaks down a really nasty interaction between Jay Leno and not-but-hopefully-gay Ryan Phillippe on his luscious site whitless.com. He's also written an "open" letter to Jay which is worth a read!

Transcript snippet courtesy whitless.com:
JAY: Can you give me like -- say that camera is your gay lover -- number two --
PHILLIPPE: Wait a second. Wait a second.
JAY: Can you give me your gayest look? Say that -- say that camera is Billy Bob -- Billy Bob has just ridden in shirtless from Wyoming.
PHILLIPPE: Wow. That is so something I don't want to do. Are you just going to embarrass me tonight, or --
JAY: No, I got more stuff. This is the least of it.

If I was Ryan Phillippe's publicist, this would have been Ryan's last appearance on the TONIGHT SHOW fer real! You can REALLY feel how uncomfortable Jay makes Ryan in the clip. It is really like a bullying from beginning to end and uncomfortable to watch. Very weird. More "gay" looks for Jay Leno.

2 comments:

Amy said...

So according to Jay Leno, if you play a gay character on TV, and then you are also naked in a commercial - there is a theme?! WTF? I wasn't aware that gay=naked. Especially since gay men usually dress better than anyone else. Hmmmm.

Patty said...

I know! The whole exchange is SO odd. It's such a classic bullying based on really antiquated stereotypes and macho posturing.