Sunday, September 21, 2008

You Didn't Ask But...

Here's what I thought of the most politically charged Emmys telecast in my lifetime on Sunday. The pokes and jabs at George Bush and the last 8 years just kept on coming allll night long. The evening started a little bumpy. People in the 4th balcony were given vertigo by Oprah's jiggling bosom. It actually registered on the Richter scale. The "hosts" of the show said it best, "don't follow Oprah." The "reality" of the opening bit was really weak for me. It sort of pointed out how limited some of the hosts talents are. It also pointed out that reality shows really need editing to work. I thought Heidi looked better in the suit than the onesie. Who is directing this show? A monkey? Howie Mandel? No one?! The shots are allll over the place. It's a mess! Also, Jeremy Piven REALLY should have written something before he got up there, but he pulled it out of his butt in the end. Even though he came off as more Ari Gold than Jeremy Piven. I love Jean Smart and SAMANTHA WHO. My favorite DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES actresses' dress was (barely) Marcia "Crazy As a Sh!T House Rat" Cross. And her makeup was flawless! I did NOT care for any of the other dresses. Ricky Gervais' comic timing is brilliant. He had that giant crowd in the palm of his hand. Tommy Smothers has STILL got it though it seemed like he'd lost it once or twice during his speech. Josh Groban's medley made him seem insane and pretty gay. I can say that because I am gay. I could barely keep up with what he was singing. Parts of it were funny, but mostly I was cringing. Poor Josh Groban. He just doesn't have an identity to me. And, this performance really showed why. He's everyone at once. Then Laura Linney won ANOTHER award, and it looks like I'll have to watch JOHN ADAMS on DVD now. Though, I still highly recommend BERNARD & DORIS, I have to give Linney props for taking a dig at Rudy Guiliani in her acceptance speech. There are no words to describe my joy at the (idea of the) LAUGH-IN bit! Lily Tomlin is a goddess. Joanne Worley has still got it. Who knew Ruth Buzzi was still alive?! Sadly, the bit stunk up the joint. It was a technical/timing nightmare and oddly anachronistic. Lauren Conrad at The Emmys?! Holy SH#T! I can not believe the Earth didn't open and swallow the entire theatre. No! No! No! I'm so happy Kathryn Joosten won Best Supporting Actress for DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. She's a hoot! Then Barry Sonnenfeld won for PUSHING DAISIES, which I'll now have to watch on DVD. He should definitely stay behind the camera. Then... Yay!! More Emmys for Tina Fey! Then Jed Bartlett, my favorite President ever, showed up to give some historical perspective to the show. In an evening where George Bush was taking jabs from everyone at the mic, of course RECOUNT won the Emmy for Best Made for TV Movie. It really was "stick it to George Bush" night, and --as I've said before-- it's about 6 1/2 years too late, folks. Anyway, despite the fact the George Bush has driven this country into a ditch we'll never get out of, the awards show went on... to bash John McCain. Interesting to note, John Adams was one of the people who fought to get us all freedom of speech, and the winning writer of JOHN ADAMS was cut right off by the director of the show mid-sentence of a sentence about speaking in complete sentences. Kathy Griffin looked FANTASTIC and made people give Rickles a standing O. Then she really rolled with the punches as Rickles ran the show. She really had to hang on for dear life as as Rickles careened around the edges of good taste. Especially this past season, I do not think THE AMAZzzzzzING RACE deserved an Emmy over PROJECT RUNWAY, or AMERICAN IDOL for that matter. Hey, Sally Field, lose the sleevelettes! Even TiVo-ing through the commercials, this show seemed sooooo long! Couldn't they tell when they showed half a SEINFELD episode that the show might run a little long?! I love me some Alec Baldwin! I'm glad that he won for 30 ROCK too. I hope 30 ROCK goes on forever. Glenn Close and Sharon Gless are morphing into the same woman more everyday. That keeps me up at night. Then they did the "In Memorium" montage, which always gets me right here. I tear up. I do. Here is a list of people I didn't know were dead or already thought had been dead for quite some time: Cyd Charisse, Suzanne Pleshette, and Stan Winston. Yay for Bryan Cranston who should have won (at least once) for MALCOLM. Now, I'll have to watch BREAKING BAD on DVD. Yay!! More Emmys for Tina Fey! Tina Fey! Tina Fey! The set up for giving out the Best Competition Reality Show Host Emmy was a rare glimmer of genius in an otherwise lame evening. Wow! Probst won the Emmy! He is sort of the "father" of reality TV, and gave an appropriately respectful speech. Mary Tyler Moore looks great from the neck up. And, then of course, Yay!! More Emmys for Tina Fey! Tina Fey! Tina Fey! What a weird Emmys. TV is really changing when a show from AMC wins Best Drama. Now, I'll have to watch MAD MEN on DVD. All that rushing and bit-cutting and the show came in on time. Maybe that was just on the West Coast. Did the show run way over live on the East Coast? What did you think of Oprah's boobs, Tina Fey, Ricky Gervais, Josh Groan-ban?

No comments: