Wednesday, July 2, 2008

SYTYCD

Did Mary Murphy inherit Liberace's closet in some bizarre chain of events and custody? Or does she just roll around in glue and then glitter just before air? Either way, I'm blinded AND deafened by her. If she could get her hands on my sense of smell --I assure you-- she would. I will NEVER speak about what Cat Deely was wearing. Except to say that if Shirley Temple, Elizabeth Taylor, and --for some reason-- Ann Magnuson fell into a blender, Cat Deely is what would pop out. Oh wait, there's dancing too!? And THIS time, the dancing started less than 5 minutes into the show and there is lots of dancing. Was someone at SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE reading my blog? (If they were they were the only ones!) Tonight's show just took OFF... for a change. With each duo doing 2 numbers, it'll be a non-stop dance-a-thon. MUCH better than listening to Adam Shankman (pictured under John Travolta) ramble on and on and on.

1st number-Jive-Zzzzz, and just OFF. I think she was off for the whole first section. They got it together, but the number never made me feel anything. The camera work was weird too.

2nd number-Broadway-Thaaaayne! I loooove you! His technique is beautiful to watch!! Comfort is getting better and better. Great choreography too!

3rd number-(Lyrical) Hip Hop-I liked the performance, but I couldn't tell you why. I didn't love it. Can someone explain to me how "Lyrical Hip Hop" is any different than "Contemporary"? Nigel was close with, "...hip hop on sleeping pills."

4th number-Jazz-Their costumes do NOT say "jazz" to me, but daaaaamn they can dance! They could have danced that number in Hammer pants and still rocked it. Mark is soooo goooood and soooo cuuute.

5th number-Paso Doble-Oops, almost dropped her. Then the capes were a mess. But after that, they certainly gave it their all. Kherington looked spookily like Sharon Stone on a diva tirade, which was kinda perfect considering how over the freakin' top it was.

6th number-Contemporary-HOLY CRAP! How does Mia Michaels DO it?! She's the best! I'm in tears. This was one of her best numbers. I have GOT to see a feature-length Mia Michaels dance show. Also, Katee is the best female dancer on the show, and Joshua isn't bad either.

7th number-Hip Hop-This piece was poorly directed and just not hot. You could see both dancers counting in their heads. Is "hip hop" a catch-all term for any dance that isn't ballroom?

8th number-Contemporary-Ugh Mandy Moore! Hate her. Very cheesy but good shirt-work. Nigel made an interesting comment about backstage "meltdowns." Is Will a big drama queen?

9th number-Smooth Waltz-The music was too "Irishy" for my liking, but I really loved the choreography and the dancers were so graceful and smooth.

10th number-Ma'am bo-It was OK, but I didn't really believe it.

11th number-Foxtrot-I love me some foxtrot. I'm glad they are doing more this year. This one wasn't as good a last week's foxtrot, but it was FUN! Fun to watch. Mark looked so damn suave and debonair.

12th number-Contemporary-Sharonstone and Twitch danced a Mia Michaels piece which wasn't as good as the first one, BUT it was still excellent. If Mandy Moore had used rose petals and a bed in a dance piece I would surely have thrown up. This piece was engaging.
13th number-West Coast Swing-Fierce number. More Benjy! I'd love to see Benjy choreography something other than swing, though. The number was good, but I missed half of it due to a thunder storm alert that lasted for like 3 minutes for a part of the area with about 5,000 people living there.

14th number -Broadway-Yikes! I thought this piece was a disaster. It seemed so "Disney Themepark."

Overall, the costuming department should be shot in the face for this weeks crazy array of costumery.

No comments: