Wednesday, June 11, 2008

So You Think You Can Pants

Here's I'm still looking for an image of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE contestant Jamie Bayard getting pantsed by his dance partner in their broadway-esque hip-hop lite routine. The self-admittedly straight yet clearly gay Jamie was exposed on tonight's first live performance show. Sadly, there was no wardrobe malfunction, but we were treated to his sexy shiny briefs and massive thighs. Were the briefs spray-mounted on? One wonders. I wonder. It's worth mentioning that in typical FOX fashion, the first 15 minutes (1/8) of the show went by before the first pair took the stage for their live dance. No one can "pad" a show like FOX! And then in the "not-padding" department, there's Mia Michaels. GODDAMN I love her! She is exactly the kind of nut-job super-brilliant choreographer I LOVE. Her pieces are always just breathtaking. They just stop me in my tracks. All I can do is watch and absorb. I'll probably watch her piece from tonight's show a few more times before TiVo plows the show under. She is speaking a language of dance that is so personal, and her gift is being able to pass that intensely emotional feeling onto the dancers and ultimately onto the audience. Though, her brilliance comes at a price. She seems like she'd be a mega-beeeotch to work with, but the results do speak for themselves. I would love to see an entire Mia Michaels show. Did I mention she's BRILLIANT?! I won't bore you with a play-by-play wrap-up of the whole show. There are still way too many contestants to keep them all straight (pun intended) in my head. Here are a few highlights. My favorite dance piece of the show was Mia Michaels' piece with Chelsie Hightower and Mark Kanemura (fox!). Another standout was Katee Shean and Joshua Allen. I love that SYTYCD isn't afraid to "go there" with some controversial and usually anti-war and/or pro-peace messages in their choreography. Susie Garcia and Marquis Cunningham did a beautiful waltz. Marquis mentioned in his intro clip package that his family wasn't supportive of his dancing for reasons that sounded as if they were to blindly support a pro-masculine stereotype that dance is gay. Well, if you name your son Marquis, what do you expect?! Speaking of queer stuff, gayest outfit of the night easily goes to Chris Jarosz. I also love me some crazy Mary Murphy! Even she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about half the time, but it doesn't matter. And finally, to clear up any confusion, Kourtni is nothing like Courtney who is nothing like Chelsie nor Chelsea.

No comments: