Friday, June 20, 2008

So You Thayne You Can Dance

One of my early favorites on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE is Thayne: the cutest guy with the worst name. His OCD almost makes me love him. There are still WAY too many contestants on this show to mention them all, but a few do stand out. I already mentioned "inThayne." Then there's choreographer Mandy Moore. I have never hated a dance number as much as her first number (pictured), and I would rank her second contemporary piece among the best on the show... ever.

Was Mary Murphy wearing separates from the Joan Collins Collection?

My LEAST favorite pieces were the krumping which just did NOT "hit." Watch David LaChapelle's mediocre documentary RIZE for some real hardcore krumping. And, I hated the Viennese Waltz for two reasons 1) as Nigel pointed out, it wasn't a Viennese Waltz, and 2) How could anyone possibly judge the performance (or even the choreography) when they set up SUCH a sob-story about the choreographer's sick daughter. And, then Mia Michaels who saw through the BS feel-good story to say that the piece itself was sh*t, but of course the overly-emotional audience boo-ed her down and ate the boo-hoo up with a stick. Lame.

If the show is going to have dance categories (like "hip-hop," "krumping," "Viennese Waltz," and "Argentine Tango") then they should be given that type of choreography to dance.

My favorite pieces were #3) the Broadway number that brought the house down; #2) the sexy "Argentine" tango; #1) and as much as I haaated her first number, Mandy Moore's 2nd contemporary piece was my favorite piece of the night. The foxtrot was also lovely.

I agree with the female contestant the judges sent home (barely). It was a close call. Each of the final 2 ladies danced in their own style on Wednesday's show and came up WAY short. I totally agree with the judge's choice for the male contestant sent packing. The other two guys in the "bottom" three were excellent.

No comments: