Monday, June 9, 2008

Dance Dance Dance Dance Dance Revolution

I've seen hours and hours and hours and hours of dance in the past few days. I watched 4Th "TiVo hours" of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. I watched 2Th of STEP IT UP AND DANCE. I watched 2 1/2Th of RANDY JACKSON PRESENTS AMERICA'S BEST DANCE CREW BROUGHT TO YOU BY RANDY JACKSON AND RANDY JACKSON, DOG. And I watched 6 live and in-person hours of the Pacific Northwest Ballet (PNB) at beautiful McCaw Hall at Seattle Center on Sunday. There's nothing better than a good ballet live. The men in tights! The ladies who are lighter than air! And, after 8 1/2Th (which is about 5 hours and 20 minutes; 1Th = 40 mins - except PBS and Disney Channel) of dance (much of it hip-hop) I was so pleased to be immersed in spectacular live ballet and modern dance. The matinee ballet was a trio of Jerome Robbins pieces which were powerful and beautiful and funny. I love dance that really makes me laugh and cry. "Fancy Free" was funny and breezy and very masculine. "In the Night" was so beautiful and classic. It had the most astounding lift work I've ever seen. And "The Concert" capped off the show with a hilarious and touching story featuring my favorite costumes of the day. The evening ballet was, EIGHT ENCORES, the final show of the PNB season which featured 8 of the season's best numbers and a few extra special encores thrown in. It was a delightful mix of classic ballet, modern ballet, and modern cutting edge dance. The sold out show was a who's who of Seattle dance. As PNB Artistic Director Peter Boal said, "I'm told there are 1500 people here tonight... and almost half of you paid for your ticket." The last piece on the program was "Caught" which uses strobe lights to make the dancer appear as if he or she is frozen in mid air almost floating as a still images across the stage. It must be seen to be believed, and even then... So, it would appear that dance is making a comeback. Get out there and support your local dancers, dance crews, and ballets.

No comments: