Thursday, January 10, 2008

Project Lameway

At the risk of ruining the burgeoning romance with my fiancé Tim Gunn, I have to express my
sadness at this season's PROJECT RUNWAY. It seems like there is a disconnect between the producers and the judges. There are some examples in the Jan 9 episode. First of all, a prom dress competition?! In my mind, prom dresses are like the antithesis of modern fashion. There is a prom dress-code. Trust me. I tried to be innovative at my prom, and I felt like a pariah. I was afraid to go into the bathroom alone for fear of a good beating! Plus, the designers had to take input from 16 year old girls yet still "keep their style or voice" in the garment. There are only MAYBE 3 of the designers whose style I would say is appropriate for 16 year old girls and one of them won the competition. Sweet Pea's dress was by far my favorite, and her style does NOT stroke me as "prommy." That cockatoo guy was probably the most appropriate designer for young girls and he got stuck with a nightmare reject from MY SUPER SWEET 16. How the hell is Nina Garcia --who was NEVER as much of a little girl as Michael Koors-- supposed to judge a prom dress?! And, why was the fourth judge some old foreign dude and not an editor from Seventeen magazine or Elle Girl? I'm not even (currently) a television producer and I could have picked a better fourth judge. The whole show was a mess. THEN, poor Kevin's girl! She appeared to love the dress and strutted it out on the runway and then Heidi Klum says with a sneer, "I think the dress looks cheap" and all the old gay judges agree WHILE THE GIRL WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE! They didn't show if Rami's promster liked her dress. She appeared to love it, but then the judges savaged it calling it "old fashioned" and saying -- again, while she was standing there in the dress-- that she looked like, "a 35 year old lady on her way to lunch." I'm pretty sure that's exactly what every 16 year old girl wants to hear on national television in her prom dress. And the show was taped in like June, so those chicks could have REALLY been going to their prom in those "old fashioned" "matronly" dresses. The show is just all over the place this season. Tim and the judges keep saying, "We want to see more of you!" Well, they voted out the costume designer guy for showing too much of himself, and since he's been back he's toned it WAY down, and he's still there. And, what the heck was up with the Hershey's challenge? How are the judges supposed to judge designer women's fashion made out of cheap brown pillows? I really hope the rest of the season pulls it together.

No comments: