Saturday, December 22, 2007

Holiday Reality Wrap-Up

Welcome to my first blog ever. Since TV is my life, most of my posts will be about what I've seen on TV. I decided that rather than yelling at my TV, I'd put it into words here.

I loved KID NATION, even though I think kids are evil little bastards who should live in cages until they're 18 (or in some cases 21). I thought the show did a good job of keeping things interesting even though not much happened and no one was ever eliminated. CBS really blew it by not having a parent/child reunion show! The biggest disappointment was not getting to meet Taylor's parents. I would have LOVED to see them watch their demon daughter on TV and try to explain their parenting "skills."

Sue me, but I still love SURVIVOR. Yes, it's tired, yet with every episode the editing consistently creates tension and I find my heart pounding at every tribal council. On the down side, what is the DEAL with the blurring of body parts?! Hey, since when did the 1 inch top of some guy's butt crack become an obscene, blur-able offense? Oh right, ever since Janet Jackson decided to ruin it for the rest of us. Why don't they give the survivors a "uniform" to wear when they toss them off the boat at the beginning? They could come up with some Mormoney singlet with extra padding over the "privates" to ensure that no part or portion of the human body is shown. This season's finale was particularly interesting because of the LACK of drama. Most contestants seemed able to separate back-stabbing from game-play. Except, of course, for Denise who'd just been --in her mind-- viciously back-stabbed. I still can't believe the number of people who go on that show who have never even been outside before in their lives! IF I was ever going to go on SURVIVOR -- and the only reason I would is weight loss-- I would spend at least a few hours at a camping store at the mall learning how to build (and light) a fire. Congrats to the adorable Todd bringing home another win for the sisters!

THE NEXT GREAT AMERICAN BAND was the show I was embarrassed to tell anyone I was watching this season. It was a guilty pleasure, but it was pretty fun. My favorite part was that the contestants really changed up the arrangements of the covers they played. AMERICAN IDOL bores me to tears when they sing the same damn songs the same damn way again and again. Blake was great because he mixed it up. The bands on TNGAB were all really game to try out different styles, and the finale was spectacular because all the bands played together in a GIANT medley of what would have been BORING Xmas tunes. But, it was really great to see the "kid rockers" playing with the "bluegrass band" and the "hipper-than-thou indie band." Good job, TNGAB. And, if Paula ever does finally lose her tenuous grip on "reality," Sheila E would kick SO much ass on AI! Randy could be the nice one, and Sheila and Simon could "tell it like it is."

And, finally, CLASH OF THE CHOIRS. I almost didn't watch COTC because I thought that the show would be all, "Jesus this!" and "Praise that!" but the arrangements were pretty good and the song selections were great. Having said that, my favorite numbers were mostly the "inspirational" songs. Patti LaBelle KILLED IT on the first night, but then kinda never topped that number. Where as Nick Lachey (see Top 5 Husbands list to the right) got better and better (and not just because he's my unknowing fiancé). I also think that despite Patti LaBelle's considerable excellence at directing her choir, the fact is more young people vote in reality competitions. I was impressed by Maria Menonous' ability to keep that bloated tearfest of a show on its feet for four nights. I want just a li'l sniff of whatever she was on! Tracey Morgan may have shot his career in the ass with his drugged out, confused appearances on the finale. He only had to hold it together for a total of 2 minutes, and it looked painful for him to stay conscious and/or interested. And, of course, my final complaint is the INSANE decision to incorrectly list the finale on TiVo. How many people missed the final HOUR of the 7 hour mini-series? Thank goodness, I noticed the time-switch before it was too late!

Hey, PROJECT RUNWAY, F#CK YOU! 3 episodes and then 2 weeks off?! You fully suck!

Did I miss anything? What were you watching last week?

No comments: